WHAT IF IN FUTURE...
… an automatic fact check runs during every live discussion on TV?
… the date, copyright owner and third-party changes are automatically shown for photos and videos shared online?
… a state-run internet authority verifies all online content with a quality seal?
The spread of fake news has strengthened the need for trusted content. People have been unsettled by the revelation of how certain mechanisms are used to manipulate and distort facts, particularly in social media. This creates a need for trustworthy sources, independent authorities and renowned curators. In addition, people are becoming increasingly aware that not only text content can be easily and unnoticeably falsified and doctored for manipulation purposes, but so too can image, video and even audio content. For the year 2018, we can expect, on the one hand, new software solutions that will fight against the spread of false information. On the other hand, we will witness more collaborative research and fact-checking initiatives to prevent the spread of fake news. High-quality media is also set to make a comeback in terms of its reach.
BEST PRACTICE INNOVATIONS:
Educational workshop for young YouTubers
On the hunt for social bots
Facebook tackles fake news
"VAuth" protects users from voice hacking
MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT
- Trust Building: In future, unsettled media consumers will expect content to be verified. The main thing will be to win back their trust through greater transparency regarding sources and research methods.
- Trusted Content Marketing: For companies that use content marketing, it is also important to stick to the facts and appear credible. Greenwashing and similar practices are quickly recognized by educated consumers and may serve to achieve the exact opposite of marketing objectives.
- Independent Curation: Trustworthy experts and opinion leaders are also becoming more popular. They offer a clearer overview, categorisation and perspective when it comes to complex issues.
NON-PROFIT & PUBLIC SERVICES
- Media Literacy: It is now more important than ever before for young people to learn how to deal with media. It is the responsibility of schools, universities and independent institutes to teach media skills. This begins with training the teachers and sensitizing them to the issue.
- Integrity: Trusted content is good, but the integrity of action and transparency of institutions and companies is more important. People who do what they said they would do and can prove it too will be able to build trust.
- Collaboration: International collaboration will be required, perhaps even consortiums, to develop methodologies, standards and tools for the verification and identification of content (quality seals).
IT & TELECOMMUNICATION
- Trusted Distribution: Many media-makers and political journalists will focus on their own servers, newsletter services and decentralized open-source networks to ensure they are not subjected to the rules of large networks like Facebook when it comes to content distribution.
- Fake-Proof Content: New formats to make it impossible to change multimedia content like images, videos and text will emerge and also prevent unfounded quotes.
- Artificial Co-Workers: In future, artificial intelligence (AI) will be trained to identify Like bots as well as manage automatic moderation sessions in social networks and forums.
LET´S MAKE FUTURE!
We offer trend research and creative innovation consultancy.
As the market leader for trend research, we work in interdisciplinary teams made up of trend scouts, industry insiders, visionary thinkers and people with foresight. On behalf of our customers, we detect, collect and research global trends, scan worldwide innovation fields and use deep research to identify future-oriented technologies and potentials. We analyse insights, provide a fresh momentum and transform the accumulated knowledge perfectly into concrete ideas that allow your company to lay the foundations for a successful future.