Leapfrogging describes leaping from a low to the currently highest development level, and implies overtaking outdated technology. One of the most well-known examples of this is the establishment of landline networks being skipped in some African countries and in China. These countries are going directly to mobile networks. Projects by Facebook and Google aiming to bring internet to the furthest reaches of the Earth will strengthen this trend. 3D printing and drone technology can also promote this development. The danger with Leapfrogging technologies is that it can lead to skill gaps.
MORE TRENDS AND BEST PRACTICE CASES?
You can find worldwide best practice examples on this macro-trend in our online tool, the Trendexplorer:
- Access to the latest and most relevant innovations worldwide
- Finding useful information with targeted searches
- Creating impressive presentations in PowerPoint or PDF
- Collaboratively working on trend researches
- Staying up-to-date with individual trend alerts