Cities currently cover two percent of the Earth's surface and are home to half of its population. In the future, the number city dwellers will continue to increase. At the same time, cities account for two-thirds of global energy consumption and 80% of CO₂ emissions. Eco Cities aim to make urban growth environmentally sustainable, while increasing the quality of life for city dwellers. Measures such as energy-saving building construction, reducing inner city traffic, as well as recycling water, building materials and waste, keep the ecological footprint small. The local production of food also reduces transport and CO₂ emissions.
MORE TRENDS AND BEST PRACTICE CASES?
You can find worldwide best practice examples on this macro-trend in our online tool, the Trendexplorer:
- Access to the latest and most relevant innovations worldwide
- Finding useful information with targeted searches
- Creating impressive presentations in PowerPoint or PDF
- Collaboratively working on trend researches
- Staying up-to-date with individual trend alerts