Whether it’s eggs from plant-based ingredients, chocolate bars made of insect flour, algae from 3D bioprinters or meat produced synthetically in labs, start-ups and inventors are on the look-out for new, sustainable and nutritious food resources. Consumers, meanwhile, are increasingly sensitized to topics like animal welfare and global food shortages. Alternative diets such as veganism are becoming more appealing throughout Western societies. In future, the desire for a more effective and sustainable form of food production could accelerate this change and establish the likes of algae and insects as serious alternatives to factory farming and genetically manipulated crops.
MORE TRENDS AND BEST PRACTICE CASES?
You can find worldwide best practice examples on this macro-trend in our online tool, the Trendexplorer:
- Access to the latest and most relevant innovations worldwide
- Finding useful information with targeted searches
- Creating impressive presentations in PowerPoint or PDF
- Collaboratively working on trend researches
- Staying up-to-date with individual trend alerts